Saturday, November 23, 2013

First Light, First Broadcast, First.... Everything!

     Well today I attempted to get everything set up for the first time but discovered that I had no focal extender so I could not reach focus. My friend Andy helped me try to get everything aligned and came up with the idea of double stacking two barrows with the lenses removed to use as a focal extender. (Update: Only one was needed to reach focus but I am using two one for the main scope and one for the guide scope).

      After several cold body numbing attempts 13 degree windchill at the time Andy had to go home. I believe he figured I would be done for the evening and I was, but when I went out to break it all down I had to try just one more time. While I did not get the alignment correct nor the focus right I am still pleasantly surprised at the results. 


     This was a night of firsts, My first time setting up and using a equatorial mount, first light with the biggest scope I ever owned, first time using a Mallincam Hyper Plus Color Astro Cam, first broadcast on Night Skies Network, and the first ever Planetary Image.




I find this new hobby to be educational and challenging on many levels and look forward to see where it will take me. And also look foward to you my friends visitors and viewers taking the journey with me and who know maybe.. Just maybe you will start your own journey into the Night Skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment